Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I am thankful for the healing process.

Recently, I under went surgery on my left foot. When the doctor told me what was necessary, I immediately asked my parents to come down to Las Vegas the night before surgery and stay a few days until my husband returned from California. Not knowing exactly what I was in for, I knew I would need them to drive us around, fix meals, and provide support. They answered the call with enthusiasm. I didn't think the whole ordeal would be that difficult, but I had a feeling I couldn't do it on my own. Oh, how true that proved to be!

The morning of the surgery I was feeling great and ready for anything, but coming out of surgery it was a lot worse than I had anticipated. I asked my father for a priesthood blessing because I was anxious, sick, and in pain. As he blessed me, I knew I would be healed. That healing has been a process and as that process continues I am learning more and more. As we are healed, blessings can come into our lives! Let me tell you about mine.

First of all, before the surgery Don and I were asked to speak in church. My talk was on a conference address entitled, "Come What May, and Love It!" As I prepared that talk, those words echoed through my mind frequently. On the days just after the surgery, those words became an interesting comfort to me. As I hobbled to get around, I would repeat that phrase. At first, it seemed ridiculous and incongruent. I was in a great deal of discomfort and so sick to my stomach. I wasn't loving it! But then I reflected on the fact that my folks were by my side, my children were ready to assist, friends were calling and stopping by, and my Heavenly Father was near...what else could I ask for? The support was welcomed and sweet. Yes, I could endure and love it!

As the weeks have gone by, I have gradually been able to walk normally again. I'm not running yet, but that will come. The progression from bandages to shoes has been very slow and as each new improvement has come so has my appreciation for these blessings. Simply things like being able to put your foot in a shoe seems like a gift. Steps without pain are blessings. Doubts and worries have melted away and feelings of peace and confidence have replaced them.

I know that the Lord can heal our bodies. After all, He designed them with healing in mind. I also know He can heal our hearts and lives. I am so thankful for a Savior that walks with me through this life! His eternal sacrifice for me can help heal me. Whatever the challenge...I want to endure with faith and look for the sweet blessings and love them!

1 comment:

  1. Love you mom! Wish i could have been there to help you!! Thanks so much for the blessing you are in our lives and the great example you set! We love you!

    ReplyDelete