Sunday, November 29, 2009

I am thankful for a forgiving body!


Since July 1, 2009, I have been kind to my body. I am just so thankful that my body has been forgiving and kind back. I have the energy of a 20-year old and want to move all the time! My muscles are showing a definition I don't ever remember seeing. I can run over two miles even after a strenuous workout. I look forward to waking up each morning, jumping on the scale to measure my progress, and then heading for the gym. What an exciting process to transform one's outer self in under five months so completely that some people don't even recognize me. My closet and drawers tell it all. They are barren of almost every piece of clothing I previously owned. Only pictures document the journey from July 'til now.

Over the last twelve years, I have neglected my body. I ate whatever I wanted and kept exercise and physical activity to an all-time minimum. I have never touch alcohol, tobacco, coffee and only had caffeinated soda a few times. But foods high in sugar, fat, and salt, were my downfall. I stayed busy with work (teaching) and mothering activities. Stress was my constant companion. It seemed like I experienced stress and anxiety at an increasing rate as the day went along. This unhealthy lifestyle eventually brought severe back pain that lasted over six months. I was also at risk for type-two diabetes and a variety of other health problems including sleep apnea. Not one doctor ever suggested that I lose weight and start exercising and see what happened. But I knew I could not continue gaining weight and stay healthy forever.

The pounds just kept adding up. So at 210 pounds and after a painful foot surgery, I finally decided I was tired of gaining weight and decided to see if I could reverse the bad decisions of over a decade. I woke up on July 1, 2009 committed to giving up the foods that made me gain those unwanted pounds. My new mindset would be to only choose to eat and drink those things that would help me lose weight and turn my body into a fat-burning machine! I started studying. I learned how important a low-fat, high-fiber diet was to weight loss and increasing my metabolism. I learned that I must also feed my body protein and calcium. Water was the fluid that would make the difference. Keeping my body hydrated would help curb my appetite and flush away the pounds of the past.

After a few days, I realized just how difficult it was to reverse habits and found myself craving sugar and fat! It was so hard, and I found myself thinking about food all the time. I felt sorry for myself. It was then that I realized just how addicted to unhealthy food I had become. I started exercising in earnest focusing on cardio activities (30-minutes a day) and reps on the machines to build strength for about an hour. Working out for 1 1/2 hours per day made me even more hungry, but I was committed like never before. I immediately started seeing results.

After losing the first seven pounds I made an appointment with my doctor. I shared my weight loss goal of 70 pounds to achieve a healthy body mass index (BMI). My goal was to lose the 70 pounds by my 47th birthday on April 12, 2010. She complimented my efforts and prescribed an appetite suppressant called "merida" to give me a little boost. About an hour after taking the drug, I lost my appetite. It was gone. Totally gone! Unfortunately, I was very dizzy and started getting migraine headaches and suffered from other side effects. After a few weeks on the medicine I had lost more weight, but I was miserable. I called my doctor and she cut the dosage in half. At this dosage, she doubted it would be effective. I decided to try. Maybe it would have a placebo effect. Well, it did! I continued for a few months on the lowest dose and saw results. With my confidence building and my self-control in check, I finally eliminated the medicine all together. The cravings were gone and I had adjusted to my new lifestyle and diet.

I have lost 10 pounds a month consistently for almost five months now. I keep track of my progress on my white board at school and report on Facebook. My family, friends, and students are all part of my support team. They help me celebrate every pound gone. Now I spend my spare time giving away my old clothes and shopping for new ones. I am still thinking this must all be a dream. Maybe I will wake up in my old body? Well, it is real. With God's strength, I have pulled it off. The weight is coming off and my spirit and body are soaring! I have an increased testimony of the Word of Wisdom given to the prophet Joseph Smith by God for the benefit of all of us. Our body is a temple that houses our spirit. If we respect our body and follow sound gospel principles and basic nutritional guidelines, our spirit is happier. Now I am wondering what the Lord would have me do with my new-found energy, good health, and happy countenance. Maybe work on my other failings. With God, nothing is impossible! I have learned that you can reach any worthy goal if you are committed and follow God's will. I am so thankful for my body! I love it and appreciate the fact that it has forgiven me, and I have a second chance to treat it with respect! I feel joy each day to a greater measure than ever before. I am getting healthier and happier at the same time. Thanks to everyone who has noticed and cheered me on my way.

1 comment: